These gluten-free biscuits are tender and light, perfect for breakfast sandwiches or dinner. And, come berry season — wonderful for shortcake.
Save time by using our Gluten-Free Baking Mix for muffins, biscuits, pancakes, waffles, and quick breads. This product is formulated with baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum, so it can be used like self-rising flour. Use in place of the total amount of rice flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, or potato starch, plus the baking powder or leaveners, salt, and gum(s) called for in the recipe. We do recommend you bake a test batch of any formula before scaling up.
|YOU'LL NEED||OUNCES||GRAMS||BAKER'S %||5 LBS OF MIX||25 LBS OF MIX||50 LBS OF MIX|
|2 cups King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Baking Mix||8.5||241||100||5 lbs||25 lbs||50 lbs|
|1/2 cup butter, cold||4||113||47.1||2 lbs, 6 oz||11 lbs, 12 oz||23 lbs, 9 oz|
|2 large eggs||3.5||100||41.5||2 lbs, 1 oz||10 lbs, 6 oz||20 lbs, 12 oz|
|1/3 cup milk, cold||2.7||76||31.4||1 lbs, 9 oz||7 lbs, 14 oz||15 lbs, 11 oz|
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Work butter into baking mix; leave some butter in small visible pieces. Whisk eggs and milk together. Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- Dust work surface with baking mix; turn dough out onto it. Fold dough over on itself four times; gently flatten to 3/4" thick. Brush surplus baking mix off the top of the dough.
- Cut with a 2 1/2" round cutter dipped in baking mix. Stack scraps together, gently pat down to 3/4" thick; cut additional biscuits.
- Place biscuits 2" apart on ungreased or parchment-lined pan(s). Brush with milk or melted butter, if desired, to help the biscuits brown.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving—they're best served slightly warm.
- 8.5 ounces of mix bakes eight 2 1/2" biscuits
- 5 pounds of mix bakes 6 dozen 2 1/2" biscuits
- 25 pounds of mix bakes 30-31 dozen 2 1/2" biscuits
- 50 pounds of mix bakes 60-62 dozen 2 1/2" biscuit
Tips from our Bakers
- For higher rising biscuits, cut straight down, with a floured cutter; don't twist the cutter.
- Why the 10-minute rest before serving? Gluten-free biscuits need the rest to allow the starches to finish setting up, and to let their outsides get crisp.
- To make a sweeter biscuit for shortcake: Whisk 2 tablespoons of sugar into the baking mix and butter; and add 2 teaspoons vanilla to the milk and eggs mixture. Sprinkle the tops of the biscuits with sugar before baking, if desired. Bake as directed.
- King Arthur Flour recommends the GFCO's Certified Gluten-Free Food Service Training and Management program for professional gluten-free baking instruction. For more information, please visit GFFoodService.org.